Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Go Figure

Say you own a gun shop and sell guns and ammunition to hunters and gun enthusiasts. You sell products that enhance your customer’s hobbies and therefore their lives. You are encouraged to sell a new product. It is a Teflon coated bullet. You know that the only purpose for this bullet is to penetrate armor. In other words; it is designed to kill humans. It would have no other purpose. It would not be needed for targets and animals don’t wear armor. Your conscience won’t let you sell this product. People applaud you for standing for your principles and not giving into greed.

Now, let’s say you are a pharmacist. You sell drugs and other products that can increase and enhance your customer’s lives. You are encouraged to sell a new product. It is a pill that has no other purpose but to end a human life. You are told that by ending a small, just barely begun life, it will enhance someone else’s life. You reason that it is not right to take one life just to make another’s more desirable. Your conscience won’t let you sell this product. You are criticized for being a religious fanatic. You are told you are licensed by the government; so you should sell any drug that a doctor prescribes.

Is not the gun dealer also licensed by the government? Do not the gun dealer and the pharmacist both own their own business? Shouldn’t they both have the right to not sell any product they wish not to?

Go figure.

5 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just posted this whole thing on my blog. Thanks Dad. Now how about sending it to the editor of a few papers?

 
At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But it's OK to sell a bullet that enhances peoples lives....by allowing them to go out and shoot innocent animals....what happened to all god's creatures?

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger nhisgrip said...

To Anonymous:

It sure beats clubbing them to death.

God put all animals under man's dominion. (Genesis 1:28) He commanded a sacrifice of animals (Exodus 12) and said all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles of the earth and birds of the air are for food. (Acts 10: 12-13)

Just because God created something, does not make it sacred.

 
At 1:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hunters and gun enthusiasts.

By hunters I'm presuming you mean hunting for food, not for sport....but...

Gun enthusiasts? That suggests to me people who are enthusiastic about, passionate about, LIKE guns and kill things for fun, not food.

I really can't see how any god could condone killing for fun.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger nhisgrip said...

Most true gun enthusiasts are far more into shooting targets than animals. Many will shoot thousands of rounds of ammunition per year and have never shot at an animal in their lives. If you’ve never shot a full gallon can of old paint with a 30-06 rifle; you may not be able to understand the fun of just shooting. I know people who have shot a hundred rounds of shotgun shells at clay pigeons in one day and have never shot at a live bird and probably never will.

Guns are not always about hunting for food or shooting for fun. Just last week, I shot a rattle snake. I didn’t intend to eat him and I didn’t do it for fun. I killed it to protect my grandchildren. I don’t feel the slightest bit condemned for it.

As for God; we’re not talking about “any god”. We are talking about the one and only true God. The God that ordered Saul to “put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys”. (1 Samuel 15:3) While that may seem pretty extreme to us in today’s world; who are we to question God? I realize this was not killing for fun; but I’m not about to decide what God does or does not condone, unless I find it in his word. For all I know, He may have created some animals just for sport.

The original purpose of this post was not to discuss the morality of guns or hunting. The post is about government telling a business man what he must sell. Obviously a person with your convictions should not be told they must sell guns or ammunition and a person with convictions against abortion should not be told they must sell drugs that kill.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home